Very interesting.  I will bet that the 99 records had more to do with cost
of manufacture than copyright concerns.  The number of "infringing"
recordings would make no difference, legally, then or now.  i don't think
there was any infringement, but it would be good to know what *they *thought,
back then.  That may not be knowable.

Do you know who the casts were on those complete opera recordings?  I can't
recall ever seeing them.

Thanks,
John Haley