For what purpose?  Copyright law is focused basically on selling.   No
audio recordings of any kind made prior to 1972 are covered by US federal
copyright law, although there are a spate of pending lawsuits that are
trying to change that (my prediction as a retired lawyer is that they will
all ultimately lose, but some big money is being poured into pursuing
them).   However, the patchwork quilt of US state law can come into play,
as various states have created state law copyright law that applies to
recordings.  It is quite inconsistent from state to state, as well as
unpredictable, as much of it is decisional, not statutory.

European copyright law is a completely different ball of wax, with very
different rules.   For example, the rules for public domain are much more
clear-cut than in the US, at least for recordings.   You can often tell
with a good degree of certainty whether or not a particular recording is in
public domain, which means it is then owned by the public and anyone can
exploit it.

Best,
John Haley

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 7:56 PM, Sarah & Frank Forman <[log in to unmask]