>(Matt, replies still go only to you so I changed to the list address.)

I sent my reply from the email page on my ATT home. There seems to be no way
to change the Reply-To setting. I am sending this reply from my Windows Live
Mail (which also seems to have no way to change the Reply-To setting).
Please let me know if the Reply-To address for this reply is me or the list.
What a pain..
-Matt

Regarding techs in the future, I have been doing this work for 15 years and
have found it very difficult to find steady work. I have been fortunate to
work on several large-scale projects of significant historical value, but in
the last several years, grant funding has dwindled and holding entities are
unwilling, or unable to fund preservation projects. The most common thing I
have heard is "We wish we could hire you, but we have no funding". I get
dribs and drabs,  but large projects with adequate funding are few and far
between. For the past two years I have been studying web development because
my audio preservation work has not been enough to sustain me. Just the other
day I saw an article that said there are an estimated 43 million hours of
analog tape that has not been preserved. If even 10% of that is content that
is historically valuable, that is 400,000 hours. People should be beating
down a path to my door, but they aren't. I'm not good at marketing my
skills, I'm just an audio geek that loves working with obsolete media. But I
don't think that's the reason. The reason is that there are precious little
funding available and very little concern for deteriorating assets. In the
current economic climate, I do not see this situation improving, and I would
be very hesitant to recommend that a student pursue audio preservation as an
avocation.
And that makes me sad.

-Matt Sohn

P.S. Lou, for some reason, your reply to me ended up in my spam folder.