Steve Ramm turned me on to Oxford American's annual music issue. Thsi year's will feature Georgia.
To the point, OA's store is still selling some of the past Music Issues:
http://www.oxfordamericangoods.org/collections/music-issues

Each issue comes with a 1- or 2-CD set,, and the discs are packed with interesting songs. There is
familiar fare, but also a lot of local flavor and more obscure stuff. In general, I'm suspicious of
"curated collections," especially those "curated" by music writers, but all of these that I've
bought have been very good listening. Many of the cuts have ended up in my iPod and/or music server.
Good stuff!

-- Tom Fine