Sad it is, Matt. I am fortunate to have tape transfers and preservation a small sideline to my main live sound and recording work (Freelance). A favorite gig for me is the occasional audiobook production, another not well paid segment. The only significant tape transfer jobs have come form the families of significant speakers who have passed.

Among live sound engineers, new young ones pop up seemingly weekly. Different kind of glamor! They are willing even at barely more than $20 an hour.

Having helped produce about 5,000 hours of that backlog, I feel it’s very sad myself…

<L>
Lou Judson
Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689