When I was recordings curator at the University of Texas at Austin I connected with a man who had a relative...a sister? who was a huge fan of Bing Crosby. She had recorded many of his broadcasts on discs. Most of the discs were of rather poor quality but, when I left the collection, they were still in good shape. She did not record the entire programs, but only the portions when Crosby was on the air. I got him to donate the collection. My "superiors" at the University saw no reason to fund their transfer. I remember my successor being asked about the discs to which he supposedly responded..."the collection was not worth bothering about."
She had also collected, as far as I know, all of the commercial Crosby discs known at that time. The library administration decided to catalog the commercial recordings.
Perhaps some Crosby collection was acquired by them subsequent to my departure, yet I am  unaware of it. I believe Crosby's personal collection went to Gonzaga University. As far as I know, my successor at UT knew nothing about the Gonzaga donation, yet, that was at least ten years ago. Hence, as far as he might have known, these were some of the sole surviving copies of some of these broadcasts.
Karl

     On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:17 PM, Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 Weren't most of the Bing Crosby broadcasts at the University of Texas originally recorded to tape? I
remember reading that Jack Mullin would reuse bits of tape he edited out, but were whole shows
erased and reused? If not, why aren't the tapes the master medium and why are the transcription
disks necessary for archival purposes? Aren't they inherently inferior since they are at best
second-generation dubs and more likely are second-generation dubs made down a phone line?

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Coe" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Radio Transcription Disc Label Gallery

Awesome page, thanks for sharing!  Thought I’d pass along a few other helpful pages I’ve bookmarked
over the years about instantaneous lacquer discs:
http://www.phonozoic.net/recordio/ (Labelography of home recording discs)
http://tenwatts.blogspot.com/2010/11/voice-o-graph-labelography.html (Blog with several posts
detailing the labelography of Voice-O-Graph discs)
https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~hollyr/portfolio/projects/instadiscs/bing.html (Bing Crosby radio
broadcast discs, 1949 - 1954)
Lastly, I have my own little gallery of select “home recording" lacquers I’ve transferred:
http://cuttingcorporation.com/home-recording-discs/

-Aaron