Here's a question for the preservation and transfer people --

I  have a 1/4" analog tape which appears to be a film audio track. It is
on a 5" reel (labeled "Schneider Tonbandspule" from Germany). There is
no other information on this reel or box, although I believe it dates to
the mid- to late-1960s.

Seen under a magnetic viewer, it appears to be a half-track tape with a
linear pilot tone of some sort down the middle. I don't know if it's a
Nagra, Telefunken or other sort of tone.

We need to do a preservation transfer of this tape, and then make a
listening copy available. Should I attempt to capture the pilot tone? If
so, what's the best way to do it if we don't have the gear? And how
would I determine the format?

Thanks in advance,

--
Jeff Willens | The New York Public Library
Sound Engineer

The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
Barbara Goldsmith Preservation Division
40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023
T: 212.870.1610 | F: 212.870.1812 | [log in to unmask]

 Inspiring Lifelong Learning | Advancing Knowledge | Strengthening Our
Communities