From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Quinn
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 2:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Columbia Historical Series 78rpm discs - AF prefix

Hi Thomas,
Here as some details. The matrix numbers were confirmed from the discs but the recording dates come from published sources.

AF 1   PONSELLE, Rosa (soprano)

        La Juive: Il va venir (Halevy)

         98096-3 Recorded 11th January 1924

        Lohengrin: Einsam in truben Tagen (Wagner)

         98093-1 Recorded 21st September 1923

 Both sides previously unpublished

AF 2   FREMSTAD, Olive (soprano)

        Tosca: Vissi d'arte (Puccini)

         30644-1 Recorded 21st January 1911

         Issued as Columbia 30644

         Historical Reissue - IRCC 74

        Tannhauser: Dich, teure Halle (Wagner)

         30635-2 Recorded 21st January 1911

         Issued as Columbia 30635

         Historical Reissue - IRCC 12

AF 3   FREMSTAD, Olive (soprano)

        Lohengrin: Einsam in truben Tagen (Wagner)

         30645-1 Recorded 30th January 1911

         Issued as Columbia 30645

         Historical Reissue - IRCC 12

       NORDICA, Lillian (soprano)

        Mignon: Je suis Titania (Thomas)

         30661-1 Recorded 2nd February 1911

         Issued as Columbia 30661

Notes - The 3 Fremstad items appear to be the only Fremstad metals to have survived at Bridgeport into

the 1930s. These metals were possibly destroyed when

a major cull of original parts occurred in more recent times.
The Columbia Historical Series may have been some form of answer to the Victor Heritage Series. As the Victor series seems to have been a comparative failure that may account for the brevity of the Columbia Historical Series. Addison Foster managed much better with a later reissue project  - the extensive AGSA & AGSB series pressed by HMV on shellac in the UK in the early 1950s.
Best Wishes
Mike Quinn