I wonder how others feel about the difference in detail levels between RDA and BIBFRAME. Essentially, the way it is defined now, translation between RDA and BIBFRAME is quite lossy. Yet, people talk about doing RDA cataloging in BIBFRAME. I don't see how that is possible unless the more detailed RDA properties are included -- either in BIBFRAME or with their own namespace.

kc

On 9/15/15 5:08 PM, Joseph Kiegel wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

I made a number of (relatively small) points about changes that are needed in BIBFRAME, and that was my main conclusion.

Yes, BIBFRAME and RDA deal with relationships at different levels.� In a sense, the mapping itself is the answer.� It allows collapsing the detail of RDA to the broader categories of BIBFRAME.� As a minimum, no more need be done.

But, as you suggest, more could be done.� There are high levels in RDA, which are shown as not mapped in the tables.� It seems doubtful to me that RDA will be restructured to accommodate BIBFRAME.� If BIBFRAME wants subproperty definitions, they will have to be created on the BIBFRAME side.

Joe

From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2015 10:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Relationships between resources

Joseph, this is great work, but it isn't clear to me what your conclusion is. BIBFRAME has taken a high level approach to these relationships, but that doesn't match what is in RDA. However, a relationship could be made between the high-level BIBFRAME terms and the more detailed RDA terms, such that, for example:

rdaw:televisionScreenplayBasedOnWork
� rdfs:subPropertyOf bf:derivativeOf .

The other option is for RDA to develop general categories (I don't know if it has them already) with the details as subordinate, and the RDA general can be defined as = the BIBFRAME category. Then, by inference, the RDA details would also be subordinate to the BIBFRAME general category, which is then = the RDA general category.

rdau:derivativeOf = bf:derivativeOf
rdaw:televisionScreenplayBasedOnWork rdfs:subpropertyOf rdau:derivativeOf
therefore:
rdaw:televisionScreenplayBasedOnWork rdfs:subpropertyOf bf:derivativeOf

Given that BIBFRAME could have a broader audience than library cataloging, it makes sense not to add the detailed categories to BIBFRAME, or at least, if they must be added, to make them optional, with the general category being a "good enough" solution for many users.

kc