NLS Operations Alert 15-73

DATE                     :  September 3, 2015
TO                          :  Network Libraries
FROM                   :  Stephen Prine, Assistant Chief, Network Division
SUBJECT               :  Magazine on Cartridge delays

Because of continuing issues with the Library of Congress (LC) data center, patrons will
not receive Magazines on Cartridge (MOC) this week.

Last weekend, the LC performed an important annual data center maintenance task,
which required BARD to go offline for the weekend. When operations were restored on
Sunday, the data center had a major equipment failure that affected many of the LC's
systems. This included BARD, which remains offline.

LC IT staff and the equipment vendor continue to work on restoring the systems and
bringing back-ups online. We do not have an estimate as to when BARD will be
available.

These problems have also prevented our narration contractors from uploading books
and magazines and our duplication contractors from downloading picking lists for
magazine duplication. This means that our contractors have not been able to duplicate
magazines since last Friday. As a result, weekly magazine subscribers will not receive
their regular magazine cartridge this week.

NLS will resume sending audio magazines once the system is restored. Patrons will
receive their back issues, although we have not yet determined whether they will
receive a single cartridge with two issues of each weekly magazine or two separate
cartridges.

NLS will notify network libraries as soon as BARD and MOC are available.

For more information contact: