List members,

I have wanted for a long time to express this and have an author at my
institution who has provided the impetus for this question.

A female faculty member here co-wrote a book some years ago.  She has
also spoken numerous times at a local lecture series.  I created a NAR
for her in May 2007.  She married in 2011 and has written another book,
using her husband's last name on the title page. According to 9.2.2.7
(AACR2 22.2C1), I need to modify the NAR to reflect her most recent
name.  I know that the person is the same, but the name is not.
Indicating that the first book was written by the name of the person who
wrote the second is inaccurate.  The same is true of all the speeches
she gave.  It seems to me that in my author's case she has changed her
identity and that the works by the previous identity should reflect that
in the catalog.  When a corporate body changes its name, a new NAR is
created with references to and from the earlier name.  Does anyone know
why personal names are treated this way?

gary oliver
Abilene Christian University