From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert Bratton
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Changing "active" date to full dates?

I agree with Bob Maxwell, and I might take it a step further.
RDA 9.19.1.5 states:  "Add the period of activity of the person (see 9.3.4<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=rdachp9&target=rda9-4587#rda9-4587> RDA) if needed to distinguish one access point from another. Make this addition when the person's date of birth or date of death is not available."
Since Jay now has the birth and death dates, I think he is justified in changing the AAP since RDA as currently written prefers them.
The old NACO stricture to 'never ever change an AAP unless you absolutely have to' has evolved and continues to evolve.  For example, we now have the option to add death dates to vampiric AAPs like:  Smith, William, 1702-