From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert Maxwell
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 8:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Preferred title for Latin Bible

This text may or may not be “the Vulgate” but in the case of manuscript copies of any text they’re all going to have different texts to a greater or lesser degree, that is, they’ll all be different expressions, so this particular expression is a Latin translation of Revelation that is identified as the Cloisters Apocalypse. Further, the Vulgate itself exists in many expressions, particularly (again) when you’re talking about manuscript copies, but there exist numerous expressions of the Vulgate even in printed editions (every scholarly edition will have a different text depending on which manuscripts were used and which readings were favored; and popular editions may or may not follow the text of any of the scholarly editions—as far as I know there’s no “standard” edition they all carefully follow).

I suppose if the cataloger had been able to identify this as an expression of the Vulgate it might have been possible to use “Vulgate (Cloisters Apocalypse)” or something like that to identify the expression but it’s a bit much to expect a cataloger to identify which Latin version the text in any given manuscript might be. Though this is a pretty famous manuscript so no doubt one could find out. But even if it is basically the Vulgate it’s one of many expressions of the Vulgate so “Vulgate” all by itself wouldn’t be enough to identify this expression. The cataloger’s decision to identify this particular Latin text as the “Cloisters Apocalypse” version of Revelation makes sense to me.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University