I found from research the birth and death dates of n  82236641 ARN 1060906 Adam, William, ‡d active 1821-1861 . Can some remind me of the general PCC practice as to whether I should therefore change the authorized heading to “Adam, William, ‡d 1796-1881” or just add this form as a 400? Technically the active dates are not an error, though I think full dates are more useful.

I wouldn’t consider making such a change if he had been established as “Adam, William ‡c (Missionary)” or something of the sort (though I would still add the form with dates as a 400).

Jay Shorten
Cataloger, Monographs and Electronic Resources
Associate Professor of Bibliography
Catalog Department
University Libraries
University of Oklahoma
Co-owner, PERSNAME-L, the list about personal names in bibliographic and authority records