I think you leave as is.  Put data in 670.  If 046 not present, put birth,death dates there.

Gene

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015, Shorten, Jay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I found from research the birth and death dates of n  82236641 ARN 1060906 Adam, William, ‡d active 1821-1861 . Can some remind me of the general PCC practice as to whether I should therefore change the authorized heading to “Adam, William, ‡d 1796-1881” or just add this form as a 400? Technically the active dates are not an error, though I think full dates are more useful.

I wouldn’t consider making such a change if he had been established as “Adam, William ‡c (Missionary)” or something of the sort (though I would still add the form with dates as a 400).

Jay Shorten

Cataloger, Monographs and Electronic Resources

Associate Professor of Bibliography

Catalog Department

University Libraries

University of Oklahoma

Co-owner, PERSNAME-L, the list about personal names in bibliographic and authority records

[log in to unmask]');" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]