From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Adam L. Schiff
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 4:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Changing "active" date to full dates?

I wouldn’t consider making such a change if he had been established as “Adam, William ‡c (Missionary)” or something of the sort (though I would still add the form with dates as a 400).

This issue came up before a few weeks ago.  RDA says to use a variant name as the basis for a variant access point.  That would mean your suggested 400 is not allowed.  I think the variant access point ought to be allowed but didn't get much support for a change to RDA instructions to allow you to use a preferred name in a variant access point.

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900