From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

what a splendid idea to make available to anybody interested a facsimile of
the personal stock-taking of work with tracing sound of Léon Scott (who at
this time appended "de Martinville"). Thank you so much for this initiative!

I fully agree that the translations and text comparisons are to be found in
the previous work of Patrick Feaster, and it would be overkill to reproduce
them again.

To me as a patent attorney the greatest interest in this document attached to
the Exhibit on pp. 49-52 (Pièce No. 3bis), which is the patent licence
agreement of 1859 between Scott as the inventor and Rudolph Koenig as the
constructor of equipment and independent acoustician. Nothing has changed --
it is phrased as a similar agreement would be phrased today.

However, as I reported in a paper co-written with Jean-Marc Fontaine in
2008*), Scott neglected to renew his rights because he forgot (sic!) to pay
the appropriate fees (pp. 5 and 13), and no doubt that contributed to the
break between them.

Scott was interested in the prosody of speech, whereas Koenig wanted to find
partials (harmonics) in the oscillations he recorded. The contract stipulated
arbitration in the case of conflict, and unfortunately, this leaves no public
trace. However, the non-payment does, because it caused the premature
publication of the now abandoned and publicly available patent in an
abbreviated printed form in 1867 (ref. 29 in the below publication). In this
regard, the handwritten correction from 1861 to 1864 on p. 5 makes perfect
sense, and my uneasiness with the former date has now been put to rest.

Kind regards,

George

*) "Early use of the Scott-Koenig phonautograph for documenting performance",
Proceedings of Acoustics Paris'08, pp.6237-6242.