From: Wild, Emily <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 9:22 AM
Subject: USGS Data Lifecycle and Geological Society of America
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi,

Last year at the annual Geological Society of America (GSA) meeting in Vancouver, as well as throughout this past year, I have received many inquiries on availability and access to USGS data now and in the future, i.e. the data lifecycle :  http://www.usgs.gov/datamanagement/why-dm/lifecycleoverview.php

This past spring, I mentioned the inquiries and interest from GSIS to my USGS colleague John Faundeen, the lead author of :
The United States Geological Survey Science Data Lifecycle Model
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2013/1265/

I know a lot of you still have questions and concerns, so please note, John will be presenting during our GSIS session on Tuesday at GSA:
https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2015AM/webprogram/Paper259586.html

John is also presenting a poster on the data lifecycle model during the Geoinformatics session on Sunday, Nov 1 if you would like to stop by :  https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2015AM/webprogram/Paper259596.html

In addition to John's presentation during our GSIS session, Carol and Stacie will also be presenting on behalf of the USGS, so there will still be a handful of us from the bureau to talk to and hopefully answer any some of your questions!

To all presenters: Richard, Lori, John, Carol, Angela, Stacie, Shelley, Christopher, Sharon, Lura, Linda Z., and Linda M.  - Thank You for submitting abstracts and your efforts putting together the materials - without you, we would not have a GSIS technical session and would miss out on great discussions about these topics within the profession that we can bring back to our library users!

I look forward to all of your presentations!

Make sure to preview the abstracts and think of questions to ask the presenters!
GSIS session=
T95. EVOLUTION OF THE DATA LIFE CYCLE
https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2015AM/webprogram/Session37991.html

~~~~~~~

If anyone wants to join me, I will be attending Marcia's talk
"Deepwater Horizons: Lessons Learned for Better Disaster Preparedness" Nov 3, Tuesday (12:15 pm - 1:15 pm) - and then running to the GSIS technical session!
http://community.geosociety.org/gsa2015/social-business/lectures/fyb

Please note, I still use these sources often for research inquiries :

U.S. Geological Survey Oil Spill Response (Deepwater Horizon) web site: http://www.usgs.gov/oilspill/

U.S. Chemical Safety Board (CSB) Macondo Blowout and Explosion (Deepwater Horizon) investigation web site :  http://www.csb.gov/macondo-blowout-and-explosion/

Deepwater Horizon Blowout Animation: http://www.csb.gov/videos/deepwater-horizon-blowout-animation/

~~~~~~~

Enjoy the day!
Emily
President, Geoscience Information Society (GSIS)

Emily C. Wild
Librarian (Physical Scientist)
U.S. Geological Survey, Denver Library
Denver Federal Center