That's great, Matthew.  That looks like very useful info.  Maybe there is
some way Jesse could compare what he has (the sound file) to the
Jackson/Lomax tapes, if they have ever been made available in some format,
from which he could make a definite conclusion.

Jesse, the paper labels were always glued on, in my experience, and they
often do come off (bits of the one on your disc are still there).  I don't
know if the paper labels had glue already affixed that just needing
wetting, but I have always assumed so.  We find acetate discs with many
kinds of paper labels on them, many bearing logos (just look up
"transcription disc" on Ebay), which is what I was referring to.  The
Presto logo here is embossed into the blank disc that was used.  If what
Matthew is suggesting were correct, the disc copy could have been made at
any point in time after the original recording was made, so dating the
blank itself would not be very useful.  If you knew that the disc itself
was a live recording, that would be different, but as Matt suggests, it may
be a copy of the original recording.

That is a common disappointment with instantaneous records, when you think
you have found something really important, only to discover that what you
have is a copy of a recording that is already "out there" and sometimes
even a commercial recording.  You often can't tell that until you have
dubbed the record and compared it.  I recently went thru exactly that
exercise myself, finding that the rare looking two-sided acetate was just a
copy of readily available commercial records.  But like I always say, if
you don't look, you don't find.

Even if your disc is a copy, that does not mean it is worthless.  I have
found an instance where the original source had deteriorated to the extent
that an old copy of it made way back there was a good thing to have.

Back to your label for a minute, the small clues that can be got from what
is left there are two typed word fragments, the first being "dier" and the
second being "ulation" or "olation."  These match two of the song titles,
"Christian Soldier" and "The Church's Desolation," but I am sure you have
already figured that out, and this doesn't help.

Good luck with this.

Best,
John Haley