One man's experience with Windows 10 ...

I took Corey Bailey's advice and bought a Western Digital SATA drive ($59 for 1TB), used WD's free
version of that German drive-cloning software that Corey recommended, and swapped the drive into my
2014 Lenovo desktop PC that had been running Windows 7. I then took Microsoft up on its free upgrade
offer. The upgrade took a couple of hours, but resulted in no fatal problems. Windows 10 seems to
work fine with the following audio programs installed on that computer:

-- Soundforge 11
-- all of the Soundforge plugins by Sony, Izotope and others
-- Izotope RX5
-- Foobar2000 latest stable version
-- Tag&Rename latest version

I also confirmed that Windows 10 is not hostile (ie causes no problems) for Office 2003, including
Publisher 2003, all installed on that machine. Quark Xpress 2015 also works fine in Windows 10, as
does Quark's batch-conversion utility.

AllwaySync software works fine, but Windows 10 did change some directory structures, so I had to
adjust a couple of backup profiles.

The overall look and feel of Windows 10 is quite nice. I like the squared-off look, as opposed to
the "gumdrop" Apple look that Microsoft had copied to varying extents. The Start menu, however, is
Windows 8-like. There is a free program called Classic Shell:
http://www.classicshell.net/
which will fix this and any other look and feel issues most users might have. I went semi-medievel
on with Classic Shell and returned much of the look and feel, especially folders and file lists
within folders, back to Windows XP, which I still think was the most user-friendly Windows (although
64-bit Windows 7 or Windows 10 is lightening-fast on a modern computer, which is a huge workflow
plus).

Per Corey's good advice, I kept the old Windows 7 master drive, in case I run into something very
incompatible with Windows 10. But, now 2 weeks in, I have not found such an issue. Windows 10 look
and feel is similar enough to Windows 7 that the 2 platforms can coexist just fine, in my
experience. It's not like Windows 8, where they tried to reinvent the wheel. Even though W10 worked
out fine for me, I think Corey's advice is good, especially for desktop computers (which usually
present an easy job for drive-cloning software and use very standard innards). You never know if
something you're running, either hardware, peripheral device or software, just won't work with W10
until you install it and use it.

Now if only there was some varient of Magic Shell for the horrid new versions of Office, so I could
have a user interface like I had mastered over 20 years of drop-down menus and control-key
shortcuts. Tiles are for floors, not for efficient software!

-- Tom Fine