Let me affirm that if you don't perceive any difference to wires and
connectors, you're lucky and saving yourself a lot of bother. Having been
around many blocks with that stuff, I've landed on an acceptance that
standard, professional cabling (Canare, Mogami, Belden) is just fine,
particularly as you say Paul in professional apps. Wires do sound different,
but whether the difference is an improvement is not assured. In fact, I
think most of the elaborate audiophile stuff makes systems sound worse. It
tries to make the sound more vivid, but often just makes it sound fatiguing
and annoying. I have an audiophile friend, a very sensitive listener with
very acute hearing, who is perpetually dissatisfied with his gear. I'm
convinced it's caused by his wacky wire. But he's convinced otherwise.

When I copped the Benchmark amp last December, it was another chance to
explore the wire thing, so I dug into my box of copper and silver gadgets.
The outcome was that the gear needed no 'help.' From hundreds of feet of mic
cable in house, I made some short runs using several Mogami types, quad and
dual designs, and Canare Star Quad. All sounded subtly different, but enough
to establish a preference. I prefer the Canare, which is generally my
conclusion for mic cable, too. And it's what Benchmark sells and presumably
used when they finalize their designs. I also tried Belden twisted-pair
speaker cables, as well as Mogami coax speaker cables - short runs. The
Benchmark has binding posts as well as Speakon jacks, so I got a couple of
those connectors to try out. I liked the Belden better than the Mogami, but
the Speakons made a surprising improvement in dynamics and clarity. So I got
a pair of Benchmark's cables, which use twisted-quad Canare with Speakons on
the amp end. Heavier gage. Best yet - excellent. Done.

Wires act as subtle tone controls. There are so many errors inherent in so
many setups that the right combos can make people happier. Or just more
insecure, as often happens. Pros have a different perspective. A small
change in eq is more than what most wire will do, so from that perspective,
such small changes are indeed effectively nothing. Yet, it's there. A lot of
pro gear isn't as revealing as audiophile stuff. Lately they have been
converging, so more pros are concerning themselves with such matters.

Digital? Well, I know the arguments, and want to accept them, but my
experience keeps getting in the way. I've heard annoying problems with many
75 ohm cables, including Have/Canare products, and despite jitter
elimination within the DAC. But remember, this is only in playback apps. For
data transfer, storage to storage, it doesn't matter at all.

Black boxes - Zobel networks, probably. Transparent and MIT use them. So
does Bob Ludwig and Keith Johnson, respectively - neither charlatans. I had
some Transparent. Sold 'em. Feh. I think it was Tony Faulkner who started
the Home Depot thing, as an object lesson in perspective, or maybe in
gullibility. I have a set on my garage system. Unrivaled liquidity for the
price.

The point about cleaning connections by changing them is no joke. I've used
Stabilant with good results. Anyway, I think wire is like having perfect
pitch. It's a valuable awareness, but you can be happier living without it.