Print

Print


Hi Duane:

I don't like paper next to vinyl because it inevitably scuffs it. Your point about moisture and mold 
is good, which is why it's always good to store your records in a cool dry place and well up from 
floor level. I'm more OK with paper on shellac disks, because the grooves tend to be deeper and the 
surface noise tends to be bad from the get-go. For lacquer and vinyl, I want soft non-scuff plastic 
next to the disk.

The reason I really like those Sleeve City plastic-covered paper that I recommended is that they 
offer the best of all worlds -- soft non-scuff plastic next to the disks but a stiff paper "frame" 
to keep the inner sleeve from kinking or wrinkling in the jacket.

Also, the full-wrap plastic sleeves do a better job preventing dust and dirt from getting onto the 
disk, whereas a paper sleeve with an open center-hold exposes the disk to whatever crud is in the 
jacket. Finally, the plastic seems to provide a barrier to whatever chemicals are in the older 
jackets that turn uncoated paper sleeves brown.

One man's opinions ... but based on years of owning and playing LPs, most of which have very little 
wear/use damage. I can see how formative years in NOLA, or any other tropical climate, would yield 
different opinions.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "H D Goldman" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Polylined Inner Sleeves For LPs


Good Evening,

I try to avoid such discussions but when asked we have made the same simple recommendation 
regardless of disc size or type.  Plain high quality white paper!  “Archive” quality has not 
appeared to offer any advantages.  Paper suppliers in most medium to large cities have the ability 
to make envelopes.  Record sleeves are simply envelops w/o the flap.  This is very economical even 
for small/personal scale use.

These vendors have on-hand samples of the various weights & finishes of the paper they offer.  They 
can make sleeves in any size desired at less cost than you can buy pre-made sleeves.

You can specify/supply the adhesive of choice & this has been shown to be the biggest issue with 
“audiophile sleeve”.  We have received a number of high quality pressings to inspect/attempt to 
clean over the years that were “hazed” permanently from off-gassing of the adhesive used to make the 
high quality sleeves.  It's quite depressing to learn that a production run was trashed in this way 
but it can & has happened.

From my perspective, the preferred approach is archive quality paper sleeves & a clean jacket.  No 
plastic.  Better to breath than to trap moisture within the package.  Mold & Mildew Always Win! 
Growing up in New Orleans proved that long before I had much edjamakation!

Regards,

Duane Goldman

H D Goldman Lagniappe Chemicals Ltd.
PO Box 37066 St. Louis, MO 63141 USA
v/f 314 205 1388  [log in to unmask]





> On Nov 30, 2015, at 10:43 AM, Vincent Pelote <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> What is the general consensus on polylined inner sleeves for LPs? Personally I prefer the acid 
> free paper sleeves or the old V.R.P. Discwasher type sleeves.
>
> Vincent
>
> -- 
> Vincent Pelote
> Director of Operations
> Institute of Jazz Studies
> Rutgers University
> Dana Library
> 185 University Avenue
> Newark, NJ 07102
> phone: 973-353-5595
> email: [log in to unmask]