This month we're featuring albums with a local connection: "Mind Your Head" by the Bloomington-born funk band The Main Squeeze; "Life in the City" by Indianapolis-based reggae artist Kingly T; "The Lonely Roller" by Steven A. Clark (released on Bloomington's Secretly Canadian label); and the self-titled debut album by Son Little (who will be performing in Bloomington on Nov. 6).

We're featuring three anniversary albums in this month's jazz releases: "Silver" - the 25th anniversary of the "groove jazz" band Fourplay; "Vicennial: 20 Years of the Hot 8 Brass Band"; and "10" celebrating ten years of activity by the Gabriel Alegr�a Afro-Peruvian Sextet. Also included is "Reincarnation" by Sonny Simmons drawn from a 1991 live set recorded in Olympia, Washington.

Under the umbrella of R&B, rock and soul we're featuring "Misunderstood" by Olympia, Washington singer-songwriter Ethan Tucker; "Just a Mortal Man," the solo debut from Jerry Lawson (of Persuasions fame); "Happiness in Every Style" by Nicole Willis & the Soul Investigators; and the first CD release of Love's "Reel to Real."  Blues albums include "Outskirts of Love" by Shemekia Copeland and "Right Man, Right Now" by Zac Harmon.

In world music, we have "Ballads & Blasphemy" from the cosmopolitan globe-traveler Kuku, and "Alone" from the desert-rock band Terakaft. Rounding out this month's issue is the new Anthony Heilbut compilation "Packin' Up: The Best of Marion Williams," plus our list of October 2015 Releases of Note.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music & Culture
Indiana University
2805 E. 10th Street, Suite 180
Bloomington, IN 47408
www.blackgrooves.org