From: "Ferenc János Szabó" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2015 12:40:30 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Early Two-Pianos Recordings

Dear Colleagues,

I forward a question of one of my colleagues in the Institute of Musicology
(Hungarian Academy of Sciences):

Dear All,

I am working on an article dealing with Bartók and Pásztory two pianos
carrier, and I would like to compare their recordings (unfortunately there
are very few of them, and mainly fragments) with ones made by such famous
piano-duos as Bartlett and Robertson or Joseph and Rosina Lhevinne, who
were their contemporaries. I am interested in the recordings of the
following composition:

Mozart, Sonata for two pianos KV 448

Debussy, En blanc et noir.

Brahms, Sonata for two pianos op. 34b

and Liszt, Concerto Pathetic

I found some examples on the YouTube, in the case of Mozart there is a
recording by Joseph and Rosina Lhevinne, 1939 (YouTube), Regarding Debussy,
I found three recordings from this area: Bartlett & Robinson, 1941, Gaby &
Robert Casadesus, 1954 Genenviève Joy, Jaquelin Bonneau 1955. However, I’d
like to find something which was made earlier then 1950s. As for Brahms and
Liszt, unfortunately, I did not find anything which was recorded about that
time.

I would be grateful for any information.

With Best Wishes,

Virág Büky

If you can help in her research with any information, please write to

Many thanks in advance.

With best wishes,

Ferenc Szabó

"Lendület" Archives and Research Group of 20th-21st Century Hungarian Music
Institute of Musicology
Research Centre for the Humanities, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
1014 Budapest, Táncsics M. u. 7.
+36-1-2146770
www.zti.hu
http://zti.hu/mza/index_en.htm <http://zti.hu/mza/index.htm>