Ray, All

I agree; anyone can say anything about any thing. This is what RDA says:

"A Uniform Resource Locator, or URL, is the address of a remote access
resource.

Uniform Resource Locators include all resource identifiers intended to
provide online access to a resource using a standard Internet browser.

Take information on Uniform Resource Locators from any source.

Record the Uniform Resource Locator for the online resource being described.

If there is more than one Uniform Resource Locator for the resource, record
one or more according to the policy of the agency preparing the description.

Record a Uniform Resource Locator for a related resource as part of the
description of the related manifestation."

"Resource" here means the RDA/FRBR entity Manifestation, and nothing else.

In practice, the URL recorded may resolve to (get) an online file
constituting the real-world object that is the resource being described, or
it may resolve to a so-called jump-off page that links to various related
versions/formats of the resource being described, or it may resolve to an
interactive page such as a page-turner, and so on. All of these cases are
covered by the instructions, but only the first case allows a semantically
coherent and machine-readable resolution of the data. Thus I think that the
RDA URL data is non-resolvable (not un-resolvable) in the context of a
coherent linked data application. It is a similar case to other
Manifestation identifiers, such as ISBN which cannot guarantee, in
principle, that a single number/identifier refers to one and only one
Manifestation.

I think it is important to make the distinction. If the RDA URL is treated
as a URI, then what does the URI identify?

Suppose <resource1URI> <rdam:uniformResourceLocator.en> <URL1> .

If <resource1URI> and <URL1> are URIs for the same Manifestation, then
<resource1URI> owl:sameAs <URL1> . This makes the URL property redundant.

If they are URIs for different Manifestations, then the RDA instructions are
clear that the URL should not be recorded as a value of the URL property.

The RDA Steering Committee intends that the data produced using the RDA
instructions and represented as linked data using the RDA element sets and
value vocabularies are coherent. There is nothing in this approach that is
inconsistent with RDF or FRBR.

Applications are free to interpret the value of RDA URL as a URI that
resolves to a web document; the RDA property does not declare a range. That
document might be the Manifestation/Item in focus, or a log-on form, or
something else. Applications can also impose URI functionality on URLs
declared as literals - but RDA data will not guarantee any consistency in
the results.

This is the only reason I can come up with for an application needing to
know the provenance, or anything else, of a URL in this context (was it the
location of some other document in the past? is it the location of some
other document now?). Using RDF means we don't have to talk about URIs as
identifiers; the provenance of a URI is all the triples that use it.

The RDA approach is evolving to conform to the new consolidated FRBR model,
which introduces the entity Nomen. We expect the range of an evolved
sub-property of RDA URL (and many other elements such as titles of works and
manifestations, names, access points, and other identifiers) to be declared
as Nomen, allowing the provenance of any such identifying string to be
recorded as linked data. The entity has similar semantics and functionality
as skosxl:Label.

Cheers

Gordon