On 11/12/15 5:40 PM, Young,Jeff (OR) wrote:
> This makes me wonder if/how the notion of "subdivision" transitions to
> a linked data universe. Do they factor out?

I'm meditating on the idea that linked data might facilitate the
creation of truly faceted subject statements, something that we
struggled with in the 60's and 70's (yes, that long ago) but didn't have
the technology to implement. What comes to mind is subject headings that
are graphs, and that access and linking can take place between any nodes
-- so that you could link all items with PlaceX as a subject. With equal
access to all facets (rather than a left-to-right string of
subdivisions) it may not be necessary, for example, to distinguish
between subjects primarily about a place, and subjects that have a place
aspect. This could be an opportunity to rethink subject headings. FAST
is an interesting start, but with RDF it might be even better.

Cf. Ranganthan: Personality, Matter, Energy, Space, Time

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net