On 11/12/15 5:40 PM, Young,Jeff (OR) wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
This makes me wonder if/how the notion of "subdivision" transitions to a linked data universe. Do they factor out?

I'm meditating on the idea that linked data might facilitate the creation of truly faceted subject statements, something that we struggled with in the 60's and 70's (yes, that long ago) but didn't have the technology to implement. What comes to mind is subject headings that are graphs, and that access and linking can take place between any nodes -- so that you could link all items with PlaceX as a subject. With equal access to all facets (rather than a left-to-right string of subdivisions) it may not be necessary, for example, to distinguish between subjects primarily about a place, and subjects that have a place aspect. This could be an opportunity to rethink subject headings. FAST is an interesting start, but with RDF it might be even better.

Cf. Ranganthan: Personality, Matter, Energy, Space, Time

kc

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

On Nov 12, 2015, at 7:30 PM, Adam L. Schiff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Please note also that the URI http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh9900167 is for the LCSH form subdivision authority record, not the LCSH heading Poetry.  The URI for that is http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh85103704.   It would still be best to use the record from LCGFT for a form/genre term.

Adam

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900
Seattle, WA 98195-2900

_____________________________
From: Denenberg, Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2015 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Categories--Genre/Form
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Nancy - I take your point, but strictly speaking, If you dereference the URI:
http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh99001678
(and note that the example has a slight error, the .html should have been omitted)
and get RDF returned:
http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh99001678.rdf

note that it is a madsrdf:GenreForm. (As opposed to a madsrdf:Topic. MADS doesn't know about subjects --topics, but not subjects).

Granted, the URI:
http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh99001678
makes it seem to be a subject.

Ray