Kate, great examples! I can't imagine that any specialities that vary notably from general book cataloging will be served by a "one size fits all" cataloging code or data format. What seems to make sense to me would be to design extensions for these materials -- extensions that are under the purview of an organization that can represent that specialty. Music libraries - the Music Lib Assn. Rare books - maybe SLA? Serials - please someone take on serials so the rest of us don't have to think about them! Art - ARLIS. Just suggestions, but each community has a gathering place for experts, and should have control over its own data. Extensions would allow that.

I don't believe that any other way will satisfy the wide range of needs of everyone who describes cultural heritage objects.

kc