Joe,

Not sure if you noticed, but it looks like LOC has published Carriers as bf:Carriers, see: http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/carriers/sd.

I haven’t fully formed my thoughts on the new Categories proposal, but I’ve been wondering… Can some or all the new bf:Carrier, bf:Content, bf:Media, and bf:GenreForm be handled by treating them as bf:Work and bf:Instance subclasses?

Couldn’t/shouldn’t the new bf:hasContent be covered by part/whole Work relationships and bf:Work subclasses?

Couldn’t/shouldn’t the new bf:hasCarrier be covered by bf:Instance subclasses?

Example 1 would then look like:

<ex:SomeWork> <bf:hasInstance>  <ex:SomeInstance> .

<ex:SomeInstance> a <<http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary>http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary<http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/carriers/sd>/carriers/sd<http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/carriers/sd> > .

Based on what we’ve attempted to say about media in MARC (see, http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd337.html), it seems like bf:hasMedia could also be covered by Work or Instance subclasses.

If/when form and genre are decoupled, form types could then too be used as subclasses of Works or Instances. Genre is possibly the one hold-out. For example, a movie isn’t science fiction, but rather it has a genre of science fiction.  Instead of having science fiction as a subtype of work, we would need a bf:hasGenre property.

Example 4 would then possibly look like:

<ex:SomeWork> a <bf:Text> ;
  <bf:hasGenre> <http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh99001678<http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh99001678.skos.rdf>>> .

Reactions? Rotten Tomatoes?

Thanks,
Steven

————
Steven Folsom
Metadata Strategist and Standards Advocate
Cornell University Library