Really?  I'm no expert on cylinders, but thought all cylinders played with
a flat-bottomed stylus, the grooves being more like troughs, with the
modulation being in the bottom surface rather than the groove walls.  i
don't think you ever want to play a cylinder with a pointed stylus made for
flat records.

Best,
John Haley