I agree with Tom! RIPPING the CD with something like Exact Audio Copy is
actually safer as you know you've got errors (or not) whereas if you
stream the audio, you don't know without listening.

My son Robert and I have ripped something over 14,000 tracks and some of
the rips are full operas/operettas (or at least acts thereof) and one or
two an un-cut album. We have almost 1300 folders, each representing an
album although we have a hierarchy so maybe it's 1000+ CDs and the rest
from other sources (from LP, cassette, HD Tracks, iTunes, etc., but the
vast majority were CDs and probably at least half from the generous "big
box" sets including RCA Living Stereo I, Mercury Living Presence 1, 2,
and 3, Philips Classics, Eminence Classics, A Baroque set, and more.
Folk music was mostly from CDs including just about complete
discographies of Joan Baez and Judy Collins and several others. We
ripped to FLAC and then I have produced in Samplitude a complete set of
128 kb/s MP3s of the whole thing (doubling the above file counts). With
judicious editing (like only one Messiah, not three, and one version of
Tannhauser, not three and only one version of some of the problematic
folk albums) the whole collection fits on a 64 GB micro SD card in my
phone.

Anyway, it was a LOT of work and not all the metadata is correct, but
it's close enough and for me to have my 1200 favourite recordings at my
fingertips, it was worth it to me.

Cheers,

Richard