Tom,

It is harder than you think. Work has been done and continues to be done
on identifying, the causation, and the remediation.

Since we have no new tape (only NOS) to play with, controlled tests are
practically impossible. One paper I read on potting compound hydrolysis,
the experimenters made new batches of the polymer to test.

Needless to say, that is more difficult with tape, especially when we
have anecdotal (at least) evidence that the process control was
sometimes sub-optimum. And the looooong time it has been around.

Cheers?

Richard