When I was in the States I made a largish order of about 1000 reels of
Emtec 911 open reel tapes.  From memory the boxes contained 20 reels per
box and my immediate boss liked me to record the batch number as part of my
workflow.  Not all the tapes in the boxes were from the same batch.

We had a situation here where the Mitsui Gold CDR's, shrink wrapped and
all, not only had pit holes in them on the gold layer, but when you opened
the shrink-wrap and case they were full of dust!.  We sent them back but
heard that another institution in Asia had complained about the pit-holes
and sent theirs back after opening them.  It appears they were then
re-shrink-wrapped and we got them!

The joys of archiving!

Marie