Stephen wrote:

The site presents the series title as "Michel Foucault: Lectures at the College de France," so if I was establishing this, I'd want to do so with that phrase; but is that punctuation problematic, with its implication that the title proper is simply "Michel Foucault"?”

RDA allows you to retain punctuation as found, so it would be perfectly legit to treat that entire thing as a title proper, if that’s what the cataloger decides is the title proper.

1.7.3 Transcribe punctuation as it appears on the source

One of the examples here shows an example of punctuation that includes what is an ISBD dash that is transcribed as it appears:

Vessels on the Northwest coast between Alaska and California -- 1543–1811

2.3.1.4  Transcribe a title as it appears on the source of information (see 1.7http://access.rdatoolkit.org/images/rdalink.png).

2.3.2.1  The title proper is the chief name of a resource (i.e., the title normally used when citing the resource).

2.3.2.7  Record the title proper by applying the basic instructions at 2.3.1http://access.rdatoolkit.org/images/rdalink.png.

There aren’t any examples in 2.3.2.7 similar to the one in 1.7.3, but my reading of these instructions is that if you decide that Michel Foucault: Lectures at the College de France is the title proper, then you transcribe it with the colon as found on the preferred source.  But one could just as easily decide that Michel Foucault is title proper and the rest is other title information.   RDA doesn’t tell you how to make that decision, nor do any best practice documents as far as I can recall.

Adam

Adam L. Schiff

Principal Cataloger

University of Washington Libraries