Clara,

If the author of all of the issues in the series is Michel Foucault, then you should use an 800 author/title series, because the creator of all of the works in the series is Foucault.   If these are all transcripts of lectures by Foucault, he’s clearly the creator of the series as well.

Then you have to decide what the title proper of the series is.  In other words, if you were cataloging this is a serial, what would you put in the 245 field?  You’ve identified two possibilities, and I can think of a third:

245 10 $a Lectures at the College de France / $c Michel Foucault.

245 10 $a Michel Foucault: lectures at the College de France.

245 10 $a Michel Foucault : $b lectures at the College de France.

So you need to decide what part is title information and what part if any is statement of responsibility.  And for the title, you have to decide what the title proper is (what would go in 245 $a).  I don’t think there is necessarily one correct answer.

When used as series the possibilities outline above would look like:

490 1 Lectures at the College de France / Michel Foucault     [but you could leave off the statement of responsibility since it isn’t a core element]

800 1 Foucault, Michel, $d 1926-1984. $t Lectures at the College de France.

490 1 Michel Foucault: lectures at the College de France

800 1 Foucault, Michel, $d 1926-1984. $t Michel Foucault: lectures at the College de France

490 1  Michel Foucault : lectures at the College de France    [but you could leave off the subtitle since it isn’t a core element]

800 1  Foucault, Michel, $d 1926-1984. $t Michel Foucault (Series)

The reason I added (Series) to the end of the last possibility is that I searched OCLC to see if there were any other works that this access point would conflict with, and there are other works created by Foucault whose preferred title is Michel Foucault.  (Series) seems the most logical thing to use to break those conflicts.

Adam L. Schiff

Principal Cataloger

University of Washington Libraries

Box 352900