This gets really complicated.

The series-like-phrase authority is not coded RDA.  Under AACR2 a series
had to have a separate series title appearing on items in the series.  I've
examined one of the Palgrave volumes, and while there are clear references
to a series in the editor's introduction, there isn't really a separate
series title. Each volume has a distinct volume title plus a subtitle in
the form "Lectures at the College de France, YYYY-YYYY," with the year
spans varying from volume to volume. Under earlier conventions, this
presents as a series without a series title, since the same content
couldn't be both a subtitle and a series title; hence the
series-like-phrase authority, I'd guess.

The "Foucault ... $t Lectures. $k Selections" authority is RDA, but is not
for the series. It's for a volume of lectures from the College de France in
the original French titled "La societe punitive." "Lectures. $k Selections"
appears on the LC bib record for that title in a 240 (with Foucault as the
100), implying that this is an instance of RDA 6.2.2.10.3 and its LC-PCC
PS, Other Compilations of Two or More Works.  Presumably the same 240 could
be applied to other collections of Foucault lectures and would serve to
collocate them, though not the way a series added entry would.

So the two authorities do not need to be reconciled.  The "... Lectures. $x
Selections" authority could be the basis for a new expression authority for
"Foucault .... $t Lectures. $k Selections. $l English" to name the English
language volumes collectively but loosely, and leaving the question whether
that really names an expression to dangle.

Or one could take RDA 6.2.2's allowance for drawing preferred titles from
reference sources outside the pieces in hand to choose a series title from
the publisher's web site:

http://www.palgrave.com/series/Michel-Foucault-Lectures-at-the-Coll%C3%A8ge-de-France/MF/

The site presents the series title as "Michel Foucault: Lectures at the
College de France," so if I was establishing this, I'd want to do so with
that phrase; but is that punctuation problematic, with its implication that
the title proper is simply "Michel Foucault"?

Or one could decide that RDA Glossary definition of series ("A group of
separate resources related to one another by the fact that each resource
bears, in addition to its own title proper, a collective title applying to
the group as a whole") excludes series from being named by reference
sources, despite the more lenient approach to titles generally at RDA 6.2.2.

I think the course of action most in line with what's already done would be
the 240 with a language qualifier added and no series added entry or note
as instructed by the series-like-phrase authority; but that's more
expedient than principled. The problem is that there are conflicting
principles in this case and no consensus yet on what practice should be.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota