I am trying to create an authority for the English translation of Maudoodi's Islām kā ak̲h̲lāqī nuqt̤ah-yi naz̤ar. The problem I have encountered applies to the title of the work, so my discussion below focuses only on the work.

The title of the work in the vernacular script is:
اسلام کا اخلاقی نقطہ نظر
However, OCLC's Connexion client complains about the last letter of the third and fourth words. Both of these are Arabic letters that are *not* in the MARC-8 extended Arabic character set, and so OCLC will not validate them.

I see three possibilities in this situation:
(1) Avoid putting the title in the vernacular script into the record at all.
(2) Substitute other Arabic letters for the two Urdu characters, giving:
اسلام کا اخلاقي نقطه نظر
(3) Substitute NCRs for the characters that will not validate, giving:
اسلام کا اخلاقی نقطہ نظر
(That mixture of Roman and Arabic characters will likely come out in the wrong order.)

Any one of these solutions will get the record into the authority file. Solution (2) has the advantage of being able to be input and be readable (and a good search engine will find the title in whichever form it is searched). However, the title as thus written is not the title of the work. Solution (3) has the disadvantage of being unreadable on input, and unsearchable in a Web browser. However, the input should *display* properly in a Web browser (assuming NCRs in an authority record work like NCRs in a bib record), and the NCRs could be changed programmatically to the correct character when the capability of using any Unicode characters becomes available.

Is there a best practice in this situation, and what is it?

Bonus question: Do all PCC NACO nodes have this problem, or do some allow these Urdu characters to be input?

In case my (our your) email program mangles the characters, here are the relevant titles: (1) romanization; (2) Urdu title; (3) Urdu title with substitution; (4) Urdu title with NCRs (the NCRs are right-to-left, but otherwise the text is correct). I am using a Naskh font since I don't have a good Nastaliq font on my computer.

Inline image 2

Richard A. Lammert
Concordia Theological Seminary

--

Rev. Richard A. Lammert           e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Technical Services Librarian       mail: 6600 N. Clinton St.