John,
Shelf browsing does happen at the Library of Congress. Just by librarians, not patrons. Thomas Mann talked a great deal about his experiences of browsing the stacks for patrons. He considered shelf browsing very important.

Ted Gemberling
UAB Lister Hill Library

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Gordon Marr
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2015 11:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Replacing entry points after creating new/improved rda authority records

Hi John:

   Surely you can imagine that call number cutters are based on the 1XX for the purpose of shelving everything by particular "creators" together (especially fiction) in order to benefit stacks browsers. Some say that stacks-browsing is a very significant "discovery" method, but that concept certainly doesn't matter to libraries that do not allow it-like the Library of Congress.

Cheers!

John G. Marr
DACS
Zimmerman Library
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87010

         **"I really like to know the reasons for what I do!"**
                                             Martha Watson

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but sharing is permitted.