Thank you, Peter!

To quote your earlier message (a paragraph that did not register amidst
all the other wonderful paragraphs (2016-01-20  13:33 -0500)

> All that said, hydrolysis of the polyester binder is not the only decay
> vector identified in/on magnetic tape.  Laboratory testing has identified a
> number of other decay residues.  Among these are cyclic tri-mers from the
> polyester base, sodium or calcium impurities from the magnetic powder,
> various fatty acids or stearates from the lubricant and surfactants left
> over from the manufacturing process. Further testing has shown that "baking"
> does not seem to have a positive or "corrective" effect on these other
> residues.  In some testing, "baking" has made the surface effects of a few
> of these other residues worse.

Is it possible to relate any of these to the rubberization of the binder
as indicated by the lowering Tg symptom?

Is it possible to indicate further symptoms/indicators that can identify
the following (I'm not fully giving up my idea of the tape version of a
"pool test kit" if some meaningful restoration information couild be
gleaned):

---cyclic tri-mers from the polyester base

---sodium or calcium impurities from the magnetic powder

---various fatty acids or stearates from the lubricant and surfactants
left over from the manufacturing process.

I agree with you that baking is not a 100 % cure-all, which is why I've
advocated for cold playback, D5 lubrication, and fast playback over
"sharper" profile heads as alternatives for squealing tapes.

You question about a specific flavour of mag coat shedding is
interesting. One of the things that Jim Wheeler taught me (which he may
have received from you) is "cold soak." I have struggled to understand
what that does. We can assume that it drys out the tape (which is
generally good), but I have also had some limited success with it
reducing "pull out" damage from mag coat adhering to the previous
layer's back (which is raw base film, not back coated).

One possible scenario I see in that is along the lines that you
discussed: as the tape cools and the moisture content is reduced by the
desiccant in the sealed environment, there is microscopic motion of the
mag coat matrix--enough to break loose the adhesion (dare I suggest
interlocking asperities?) in a manner that is less destructive than
pulling the tape off the pack. I am thinking that it may be more of a
shearing action while the tape is still packed.

Unrelated in a sense to your question, but we've both come up with
microscopic motion as a possible explanation. I have never actually seen
the issue that you describe, but I have received two tapes in the past
year that had horrible shedding and cold soak did not help one. Both of
these were so bad, I was finding mag coat on my clothes and hair and
skin! These were not the individual mag particles,  but mm sized flakes
of mag coat.

Speaking of dimensions, do you have a guess of the amount of
differential movement we can see in the mag coat face due to any of
these effects? Putting in perpective, the wavelength of 15 kHz at 15
in/s is 0.001 inches--1 mil. We see destructive azimuth errors certainly
around 1/4 of a wavelength offset and probably less, but at 3.75 in/s we
have a wavelength 1/4 as long as at 15 in/s so 1/16 of a mil is likely
to produce audible effects at 3.75 in/s. Is that the order of magnitude
of mag coat face warpage (independent of base film warpage) that you
might expect to see?

Cheers,

Richard