Hi Tom,

The answer is relatively simple: Money
You and I think about storage in terms of a Terabyte or two. General
Motors and corporations of that size have to think in terms of multiple
Peta-bytes. LTO becomes the least expensive method. After the data is on
the tape, verification and migration is done robotically.

Those that are considering LTO need to know that the format (drives,
etc.) is only backward compatible for two generations and LTO-7 is on
the horizon.

Cheers!

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering