Tom, I think we are probably in agreement more than we both will readily
admit.

For large, professional archives, I think we are in total agreement. I
won't say I had to fight to get Marie-Lynn Hammond's material included
in the Libraries and Archives Canada collection as the head of the music
collection was well aware of her, but he had to sell it up and get
approval. They did take the material. I was the catalyst that made it
happen.

The point I was making was that from my personal archive perspective, I
find the larger collection more cost effective and don't feel I'm
missing out on things. On the other hand, we're maybe talking about 3 TB
or so which is a drop in the bucket now that I might have saved, but it
would have cost me a summer to do the culling, as culling slides and
negatives is far more difficult than doing that after they are scanned,
if it ever happens. I found images from the same session in different
places, so we did spend time putting that back together.

I am far more selective and go through periodic purges of physical media
including books and magazines as well as audio/video hardware.

Part of the digitization effort with the boys was taking my "clipping
file" and scanning it. I did pre-curate that and dumped about half of
it--probably most of the computer stuff that was outdated.

One of the things that I see often is a large collection of every sermon
a preacher preached and they maybe have a couple of thousand cassettes.
Often, the recordings are poorly made. When they find out the costs, the
project usually doesn't come my way.

Cheers,

Richard