This has been a great thread--and I'd like to focus on one part of it.

Perhaps there was a different version of Ampex 456 sold into the
Commonwealth? Could that be? Although I think all of the 456 I have had
has come from Opelika.

Ted in the UK, Marie in NZ, and I'm in Canada and we are all seeing
extended baking times for 456 and related tapes much of the time.

The problem is it's easy once you see the need for extended baking times
to make it part of your protocol. It does no damage, whereas
insufficient baking can create a problem.

But, we have Tom saying he hasn't seen the need and that concurs with
the Library of Congress's experience.

When I discussed it with the LoC, they were quite surprised, but in the
conversation, they indicated that all of their material was coming from
their climate controlled vaults and had been there for extended periods.

I know that some of the tapes I have received from Canada, Bermuda, and
the USA have had horrible storage profiles. I suspect that is true for
some of the 456 etc that I have received, but the worst tape I ever
received was a reel of 201 1-inch that had absorbed so much moisture it
had extruded through the slot in the hub sending a bump an inch into the
tape pack. That recording of John Allan Cameron (his first) was salvaged
partly through my efforts and substantially polished by the flying
fingers of Paul MacDonald in covering each individual blurp.

Can we see if we can come up with enough data about baking times that we
can better understand this increase that is not uniform?

Thanks!

Richard