Hi John,

Yes, the recommended storage for back-coated tapes (since many of them seem to have SSS problems) is
cold and dry. My contention, which I stand by having dealt with MANY acetate-backed tapes, including
tapes stored under such conditions, is that this is not optimal for acetate, that acetate tapes
don't want it dry (cold seems to be fine in either case, probably better for both, especially if
it's a cold and mold-free environment). Polyester non-back-coated tapes seem not to care, in fact
many of these types seem to be the most durable (although we've had reports from Richard and others
of polyester/no-back-coat types that get a very insidious kind of stiction problem, requiring slow
playback under very cold conditions or constant lubrication through the playback cycle).

My experience, owning many acetate-backed tapes for many years, and those tapes always having been
stored in ambient NY indoors condition, is that they want it relatively cool (ie not on the top
shelves of a non-air-conditioned room, or yeas in an attic) and more humid (but not humid enough for
mold to grow), and then they don't get wrinkled, edge-curled, etc. I haven't had too many develop
vinegar syndrome, because most of them are Audiotape (the only tape brands I've had develop vinegar
syndrome are acetate-backed Kodak [all tapes I've ever had hands on], Scotch 111 [only a few reels
out of many I've had hands on], and Reeves Soundcraft [about half of the few reels I've had hands
on]).

I keep saying that more research should be done whether it's really a good idea to store acetate and
polyester tapes under the same vault conditions. I also keep saying that I haven't seen any science
showing that dry conditions have any effect on staving off SSS or prolonging playability of treated
tapes. So my contention has been, until it's proven that very-dry conditions actually benefit
polyester tapes, I wouldn't keep it so dry as to damage acetate tapes, if both types are in the same
vault. Also, as a general rule, were I in charge of a vault, I would make it a priority to do very
high quality transfers of my acetate tapes because they are by now ancient in almost all cases and
it's unreasonably optimistic to think they will remain playable indefinitely.

By the way, recent datapoint. I just went through about 30 yard-sale tapes, about half of them
Scotch and Audiotape acetate-backed. I found a receipt for some of the Audiotape reels, indicating
they were bought in the Cleveland area, so I'm guessing they migrated from the Midwest to middle NJ
and spent most or all of their time in ambient environments. None of the Audiotape reels are warped,
curled or vinegary. One Scotch 111 reel was badly warped and curled, but none of the thinner Scotch
150 and Scoth 190 were warped or curled. Go figure! All of the Scotch tape was from that era where
the 3M company orchestra is pictured on the box, I think that's mid-50's. The Audiotape packaging
and the sales receipt indicated same time period. All of those were half-track 7.5IPS and 3.75IPS
amateur recordings of LP records, and not all that good quality. It's worth saying that all of the
acetate tapes were somewhat brittle (ie they snapped pretty easily when bent or pulled). The same
person (based on the box handwriting) must have taken a long break from reel tapes and then got back
into it in the 70s. In that batch, we have sticky Ampex 407, a few reels of Columbia-branded tape,
which I assume was made in the old Reeves Soundcraft plant in Danbury CT, and early Maxell UD tape.
The Maxell and Columbia tapes are in fine shape. Since I didn't like any of the music on them, I
tested one of each on one of my Technics 1520 machines, which have front-panel recording bias and
EQ. Using an external oscillator and watching the phase on a scope, I found both tapes to be
mechanically stable and able to set up with rock-solid meter readings (meaning the tape wasn't
screwed up so the bias was effecting every next bit differently from the previous bit -- I've seen
this with very old and very damaged Scotch 206 tape and definitely with old acetate tape, which may
have not been going through the transport smoothly with that low tension around the heads). The
Maxell tape, in particular, was well preserved; the guy had kept it in its plastic bags within the
boxes. The bags smelled a little bit and were somewhat "greasy," so I threw them out and replaced
the tape boxes as well.

-- Tom Fine