Scotch 3M 399 color videotape (their first "color" model introduced at the beginning of the high-band color era in 1965 +/-) is non-backcoated but it has shown stickiness and black oxide shed until baked. However, that polyester base and it's coating, although a S/N improvement over 379, is very precarious to use due to pack slippage and oxide just falling off of the base with even the best practices of handling. I have found countless instances of cinching when the tape container is first opened up. The same situation applies to some non-backcoated 1" type A tape I've recovered.

Regards,

David Crosthwait
DC Video