Hello All,

Richard, I'm with you. I've been recording live music since I was 15 years
old--most of my life now. However, I've only been archiving to LTO since I
started recording multitracks on Compact Flash cards in May of 2012. In any
given evening I transfer roughly 6 GB of audio files (mono tracks of each
channel, and a stereo track of all) to LTO. I can't really delete anything
because the bands that want to purchase the files want to purchase ALL the
files of their sets, and quite frankly, with such small data sizes, I
shouldn't have to delete anything. Also, it's impossible to foresee what
work now will be useful--or even desirable--in the future. I'm sure there's
a need for culling. Personally, when I die (which we hope won't be any time
soon) I'm bequeathing my entire audio collection to the British Library
National Sound Archive. I'm quite happy to leave the culling to them! Just a
thought.

Jayney

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 13:34:47 -0500, Richard L. Hess
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Tom,
>
>I disagree to some extent. I could not know what I would need from the
>ARSC List 10 years before I needed it. It takes time to curate and cull.
>A lot of time unless you are culling, for example, technically very
>flawed images, but even not technically great images of my grandmother
>with me on a trip I still remember I want to keep.
>
>And, looking at my mass ingest of images, I could have never curated the
>60,000 easily prior to scanning. If I did reduce them by half, I would
>have spent much more time--and made more errors--than having very low
>cost labour scan the images in. I could then sort them and at some point
>may decided to delete some, but at this point, it would be a small
>percentage. Granted, few are magazine covers, but many illustrate
>details and are of interest (at least to me).
>
>It is a tough call. I'm not disagreeing with you about the need. I'm
>saying for me, the time constraints vs. the storage costs weigh heavily
>in not pre-culling.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Richard
>

>On 1/28/2016 1:11 PM, Tom Fine wrote:
>> Hi Richard:
>>
>> All of your points are making my argument for the need for human
>> curation and culling. It's simply not wise or possible to keep the whole
>> haystack, of anything. And, if human judgements are made, then human
>> craftsmen can have the necessary resources to do excellent transfers and
>> preservation, which is the best use of finite funding and time resources.
>>
>> -- Tom Fine
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess"

The