We too have also seen increased baking times for 1/4" reels, though we
haven't kept a detailed log.  For 2", it definitely takes a lot more time,
due to the increased heat capacity and the larger width (moisture has to
travel further to escape).

Ellis

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Richard L. Hess <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi, Lou,
>
> Yes, the width is a major factor. I should have been clearer that we need
> to discuss each width differently. I don't know what widths Paul was
> referring to, but Marie's work is overwhelmingly 1/4-inch, and mine is
> mostly 1/4-inch with some 1/2- and 1-inch thrown in.
>
> For an extensive discussion of heat and moisture see
>
> Martin Vos, Gary Ashton, John Van Bogart, and Ron Ensminger, "Heat and
> Moisture Diffusion in Magnetic Tape Packs," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics,
> Vol. 30, No. 2, pp 237-242, March 1994.
>
> Thanks, Lou, we will have to make sure we're comparing for like widths.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard
>

> On 1/29/2016 1:17 PM, Lou Judson wrote:
>
>> Keep in mind the 2” factor, yes? I would not be surprised if the 2” was
>> the difference… or even 2” for export?
>> <L>
>> Lou Judson
>> Intuitive Audio
>> 415-883-2689
>>
>> On Jan 29, 2016, at 9:57 AM, Richard L. Hess <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> This has been a great thread--and I'd like to focus on one part of it.
>>>
>>> Perhaps there was a different version of Ampex 456 sold into the
>>> Commonwealth? Could that be? Although I think all of the 456 I have had has
>>> come from Opelika.
>>>
>>> Ted in the UK, Marie in NZ, and I'm in Canada and we are all seeing
>>> extended baking times for 456 and related tapes much of the time.
>>>
>>> The problem is it's easy once you see the need for extended baking times
>>> to make it part of your protocol. It does no damage, whereas insufficient
>>> baking can create a problem.
>>>
>>> But, we have Tom saying he hasn't seen the need and that concurs with
>>> the Library of Congress's experience.
>>>

>> --

Ellis
818-846-5525