Carbonite was very early on the remote backup scene, long before the cloud scaled up and economies of scale, intense price competition, and the ubiquity of higher speed connections could be assumed.  My little understanding of how they work indicates they put in a lot of tech (good or not, I can't tell you) to minimize total data transfer and bandwidth that, as a consequence, gave high CPU load and not great performance, especially over slower links.  It may have been necessary at the time, but more modern cloud backup services don't' have to jump through as many hoops and risk hitting so many snags.

People's who's opinions I respect on these things really like CrashPlan, so if I was setting something up new I'd take a good look at them, especially since they have a free trial, and the prices aren't bad when no longer free.  Among other things they'll now backup locally or remotely, as well as to the cloud.  I do hope anyone who's backing up locally is somehow moving one or two copies of that data off-premises.  Otherwise the impact of a fire/tornado/flood/breakin, etc aren't going to be pretty.

These services are likely to be running on Amazon Web Services (AWS) which is six times larger than the next largest worldwide cloud provider (AWS is the only part of Amazon that's actually profitable).  And since they're running on shared resources they'll almost always be encrypted, nowadays they really ought to all be end-to-end encrypted where only you hold the encryption keys--but you should investigate before you start using.  AWS is the platform that now underlies a huge amount of what goes on on the web, including many media companies (like Netflix) and other service providers (Dropbox) which are almost solely hosted on AWS.  Because there's so much occurring on AWS they've actually done a tremendous job providing separation and security between different services, and they're going through continuous improvements and providing a huge array of security tools to their clients.  However, those clients have to actually implement the separation, security and encryption correctly.  Since I'm not in a position to evaluate their proprietary systems and they're likely undergoing changes on an almost hourly basis, I'd go with larger providers that have been around for awhile and that people seem to respect.  If a company's new and the prices are too low to believe, I'd be extremely hesitant with data I really cared about.  And I would still want to have a copy of my data on more places than just a single remote cloud provider.

Many, many providers are going to leverage AWS to provide a variety of data/data storage/backup services.  The catalog is pretty amazing of what AWS will rent from third parties to IT providers directly.  This stuff is all abstracted away from the underlying hardware--the quality of service, or lack thereof, is dependent on the providers particular technology and skill at implementation.

Tom Fine: Apropos your comment, my university has negotiated legal agreements with a couple of major cloud service providers and I'm pretty sure I heard a part of those agreements was that the data has to remain within the boundaries of the United States.  That way any legal issues, subpoenas, etc will only be subject to US law and can be handled by the university's General Counsel.  If the data ends up in Finland or New Zealand, who knows what it's subject to, let alone what it might be subject to in transit.  The USA PATRIOT act and other snooping are a different question.  Strong encryption that you control is probably the best solution there.

Arthur Gaer

Senior Systems Manager
Harvard University
Department of Mathematics