From Apple discussion groups:

Only with the packaging and connections. A 'standard' SSD is in a form factor of a 2.5" x 7-9.5mm 'box' with a SATA connection whilst Apple's latest flash storage devices are more like daughter cards that are connected through the PCIe bus (making the flash storage in the newer Retina models a bit faster than the old SATA connector).

External flash drives use USB, which, I believe is much slower.

DrG