On 1/24/2016 1:30 PM, Adam L. Schiff wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

"The upshot of all of this is: I think it is clear that finding the events would be too complex to do through automated means (although automation would certainly help human catalogers to do it). If we could say, "all conferences are now events" (translating this to MARC: all 111s are considered to be all the events) and that would be an end of it, OK, but as I have shown, there is a LOT more than that. This means that much, if not the vast majority of the work will have to be done manually."

Not even all 111s can be considered to be events.  Consider entities such as these:

111 2_ ǂa Commonwealth Games ǂn (19th : ǂd 2010 : ǂc Delhi, India). ǂe Organising Committee

111 2_ ǂa Conference for the Reduction and Limitation of Armaments ǂd (1932-1934 : ǂc Geneva, Switzerland). ǂe Political Commission

111 2_ ǂa Olympic Winter Games ǂn (9th : ǂd 1964 : ǂc Innsbruck, Austria). ǂe Organizing Committee

Good point. I stand corrected. Even using 111s as  events demands judgment on a case-by-case basis and I don't think this can be left solely to computers. Again, is this the best way catalogers should spend their time? If yes, why? If no, why?

James Weinheimer [log in to unmask]
First Thus http://blog.jweinheimer.net
First Thus Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/FirstThus
Personal Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/james.weinheimer.35