OCLC had a MARC discussion paper about “Coding Named Events in the MARC 21 Authority and Bibliographic Formats” [1] on this Midwinter’s meeting agenda of the MARC Advisory Committee [2], with the options of X11 and a new field group X47.

For the German speaking part of the MARC community, I would have liked to see a third option, coding events not acting as agents (single battles, etc.) in the field group X50 (GND example at [3], LCSH equivalent at [4]), and leaving only events that are acting as agents (conferences, meetings, etc.) in the X11 fields.

The discussion, including a straw vote, favored the X47 approach, and the issue will come back as a proposal in June for ALA Annual.

Regards,

Reinhold

[1] http://www.loc.gov/marc/mac/2016/2016-dp09.html

[2] http://www.loc.gov/marc/mac/mw2016_age.html

[3] http://d-nb.info/gnd/4340850-3

[4] https://lccn.loc.gov/sh85059257

--

Reinhold Heuvelmann

German National Library

Information Infrastructure

Office for Data Formats

Adickesallee 1

D-60322 Frankfurt am Main

Germany

Telephone: +49 (0) 69 1525-1709

Telefax: +49 (0) 69 1525-1799

mailto:[log in to unmask]

http://www.dnb.de

*** Reading. Listening. Understanding. German National Library ***